Pages

Tuesday 19 May 2015

Veggie Box Tales 19 May

A fortnight has passed, and it is time for a new box of veg. Hooray! It is almost like Christmas. Almost. See, I do actually get an email on the Monday telling me what's in the box. But still.

So, this is the goodies all lined up.



There's some tomatoes and a cucumber, a zucchini, fennel, some Jerusalem artichokes, a cabbage called "spidskål" i.e. pointed cabbage which a quick google tells me is a member of the white cabbage family, spinach, two lumps of ginger and a fresh garlic.

Now, actually the one ginger and the garlic were not in my box. Instead, there was a head of cauliflower in there. I have ... a complicated relationship with cauliflower. So mum traded me the extra ginger (my parents have a complicated relationship with ginger) and the garlic for it. Dad was looking forward to having cauliflower with the pork cutlets they were having today. I am looking forward to stuffing something with ginger.

I haven't munched my way through all the veg from a fortnight ago, though I admit I bought some toms to supplement. I do still have the lemongrass, which will now be paired up with some of the ginger, some garlic, soy, and other fun ingredients. A friend has given me a recipe for pointed cabbage, which is basically chopping it finely and then making an Asian vinaigrette of hoi sin sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar. I think half of that head will be used up for that, and then perhaps I'll do a ginger/garlic/lemongrass/soy dressing for the other half as an experiment.

The spinach will probably find its way to a frying pan this evening, along with some onion and garlic, and some of the feta-type cheese in the fridge. The zucchini and the toms and part of the fennel will either make me a soup or a pasta sauce. I still have the kohlrabi and part of the celeriac from the previous box, and a few carrots, they could be paired up with the Jerusalem artichokes as oven roasted veg and then I could dive into the freezer for some steaks. I should have ostrich and kangaroo in there.

I am also wondering if I should try to cook some of the ginger in a syrup and preserve it. I had a jar of ginger in a syrup on my Ingredients shelf of the fridge for some years which was awesome for impromptu Chinese meals, and I finished it up some years ago. I miss it.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day for me, and by the time I get home, I'll be hungry and tired, which is never a good combo. I think I'll chop up half of the cabbage tonight and prepare it, so when I come home, there's at least something ready to eat.

Tip for people who have trouble with eating veg: soy and anything Asian style makes everything better! It's done wonders for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment