Pages

Saturday 25 July 2015

How the mighty have fallen!

You may recall me being skeptical about mobile phones. You may also remember me saying I had decided to get one at long last.

Well, that happened Thursday. I went off to the "mainland" with mum in tow to get answers to questions, and have a look at phones. Actually deciding and getting one was not part of the deal, for I expected I would need time to then digest all the information first.

Well, I had apparently done my homework well, for in less than an hour I felt I was okay to actually make a decision. So about 90 minutes after walking into the phone shop, I walked out with a mobile phone in my bag. And on some sort of high. Partly because I was all excited about this, partly I suspect because being able to make that decision in that short span of time is a new thing. I think I spent half a year contemplating a stove about six or seven years ago. And after finally having decided upon one, promptly discovered it had been discontinued.

The washing machine I bought four or so years ago took about an hour, but that was mostly because there was a limited range to choose from, and I really wanted one. And mum was along to help back then as well.

So, now I have had my phone for a few days now, and I am spending a ridiculous amount of time focusing on it. I now have an instagram account, I have downloaded several games with which I am wasting so much time, and I have been playing with settings and things, and generally being obsessive. I have learned how to text, and also now have whatsapp with a few friends on my contacts list. The only reason I haven't stuffed more on is because yesterday morning was time to harvest my cherries (or at least start) because rain was promised (and delivered in no uncertain way) for today. And rain and ripe cherries are not a good combo. Ruined harvest is what happens.

Now, while I am getting the hang of lots of new things, there are twice as many which I still haven't mastered yet. One of which is getting pictures from my phone to my computer. Or figuring out how to get images from instagram on to my blog post. I have a lovely picture of the bulk of the 11+ kgs of cherries we picked yesterday, but I can't get it to turn up here.

Meanwhile I have also been slipping up in my newly formed habits. I haven't been carrying my planner around with me at all times these past days, and things have been erratic. I am taking the philosophical approach to this. I know my brain and nerves have been all on red alert with the phone thing, and now that is mostly dealt with. I also know this is only for a short while as I adjust to this. And I have become aware that some things have been slipping because of my focus being so firmly attached to the phone. And in fact, I have already started taking steps to make sure that there is no further slipping.

Yet another sign I am getting better.


And now, allow me to present you with ... oh, right. I still haven't named my phone. I don't even know if it's a he or a she, or possibly it doesn't have a gender.


 He/she/it is a Samsung Galaxy S6 in the white, and lives in a dark grey/black Krusell magnetic cover.
I can keep it in just the case, or in the cover. Currently I'm using the cover on the go, but remove it and just use the case at my desk.















My two laptops are Athena and Bunter, which makes me wonder if my phone is a C. Do any of you guys have a clue about its gender or name? Or are you one of those people who never names items and gadgets?

And if you want to see what about 10 kgs of yellow cherries look like, go check me out on instagram @otteatthebackofbeyond.

1 comment:

  1. How about Chester? or, Christmas? or, Charlie?

    Hi, from MKmaineknitter. I saw your second YouTube video today and took the link to your blog. You have been busy making it cozy here. Hope you have a good day, or night as the case may be when you get to this. Enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete