Pages

Thursday 25 June 2015

♪♪ Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat ♫♪

No, don't panic! December hasn't snuck up from behind to surprise you!

Yet.

Chances are, it will do so later in the year.

But yesterday I reveled in the thought that it was exactly half a year to Christmas Eve. I am a total Christmas loon, so any excuse for making Christmas related activities is grabbed.

I have actually already started preparing for Christmas 2015. I have prepared and wrapped a Christmas advent parcel calendar for a friend. So come November, all I need to do is pop them into a package, write a note and get it sent. I also know exactly what I'm getting my dad for Christmas, which is a bit of a surprise, as he is always difficult. It will require some experimenting, some test running, and then I need to order the pieces and build. So I have an idea I will do well to start next month.

Because December has this funny habit of sneaking up on you. I mean, we all know December comes after November, but it always seems such a long way off. Until suddenly there it is, staring you in the face.

I am planning on making every 24th from here on into a Christmas prep day. Making notes, plans, lists. In the designated notebook I have. Starting that notebook has been a good thing for me. I started it several years ago, and one of the first things I did was start to note down how much gift wrapping paper I had. By the time I had added up to some 58 metres and still wasn't done, I made a mental note to not buy any more. And spent the next years avoiding all areas with gift paper so as not to be tempted. I have been successful at not buying any since. Using it up has been more iffy. So I have twice in the intervening years gone through and sorted out a few rolls which have been given away.

I should tally them up this year, but I still know not to buy. There's enough for many years to come, still.

I also discovered back then, that I shouldn't buy any Christmas cards. So ever since, I've been avoiding those areas. Unfortunately I have seen fit to start making a few of my own. And in spite of wanting to send off lots of Christmas cards, never got around to it. Last year I did break the writing block and got a good number off. I am hoping to improve on that run. I am still rather worried it will take a few years before the stash of cards is gone though.

What was successful last year was the amount of food and baking I got done. Both for Christmas Eve itself, but also in general. And the experimenting and creating of my own recipes. I didn't get to any final stage, but I finally got to try out ideas I've been harbouring for years, and had a lot of fun too.

Fancy joining me every 24th (or 25th) in doing small preparations for Christmas? The more, the merrier. You know where to find me. I'll be right here. Having fun. And getting organized. While singing about poultry putting on weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment