Pages

Thursday 4 June 2015

Hooray for builders ...?

Or not, as it were.

I have had renovations to the house two summers running. I had hoped this year would be a peaceful one, without people working on this or that. Well, that isn't going to be. The stable outer walls are not in the best of nick, and I did know they would have to get done soon. Just not this soon.

The bricklayer came by yesterday to have a look. He will be working on an estimate for me, which I hope to have next week. Next week the carpenter will be coming around to look at the doors and windows which need replacing. Then we have to wait for his estimate, before we get a good idea of just what this will add up to.

This all means that I will be having to adjust some of the plans and goals for 2015. Because regardless of how cheap or expensive it will be, and of when they will actually be working here, it is going to sap some of my strength and energy. I know.

At least I don't have to worry massively about the financial aspect. My parents can afford to lend me the money. Even though I hate the fact it is necessary.

My dehoarding focus will probably shift from solely house to include the stable area too. Because that has also been stuffed with all sorts of stuff. If I try to look at this whole thing as positively as possible, this means I will be improving my options for using my stable. I had lots of ideas what I was going to do in that space; practically nothing has been accomplished. Because everywhere is stuffed with things, and there's no space to actually work, and walking about can be tricky.

Some of the dehoarding inside has already had the effect of me being able to access some of my stuff, and have room to start using it. This makes me hopeful that the stable could end up being used more - or at least better - if stuff gets culled. In fact we already did get three boxes of old newspapers out today. Yeah, there's old newspapers in the stable. They were meant to be used as a cheap version of weed sheets. They have been in there for four or five years. Perhaps even longer. They are going to get recycled now. With the repair work going on, and changes to my goals and expectations for this year, they wouldn't be used this year anyway.

I am still not entirely happy that this is going to be happening this summer. But it can't be helped. I am just going to have to grin and bear it, and look for the silver lining.




2 comments:

  1. For the record, we tried using newspaper as weed sheeting. The actual cardboard boxes worked pretty well. The newspaper did not work at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That is good to know. Off to recycling without any regrets then.

      Delete