Pages

Tuesday 2 June 2015

Veggie Box Tales: 2 June

And another fortnight has passed and it is once more time to see what goodies are in store for me. Except ... I have to wait a day more.

This is one of those things which probably only happens when you live in a remote place. The lady in charge of the veggie boxes was phoned by the freight guy and told her supplies wouldn't be coming today. He had too much other stuff. So we'll be getting our veg tomorrow.

This means you guys will be getting an extra post this week. I won't be cheating you of the veg pic.

Instead I'll try to answer a question you might have been asking yourself: Why is Otte blathering on about veggie boxes and fridges every Tuesday?

Well, one reason is accountability. If I show you guys pics of the fridge and of my veg, I'm opening up for comments about how the fridge needs cleaning, or "why is that jar still in there? We've seen it for seven months now", and "did you actually eat those veggies?". Which means I have a stick, or is it a carrot, to try to keep the fridge in some sort of decent nick and to get those veggies down in my stomach to do some good.

Another reason is that I might serve as inspiration. I have learned that fridges sometimes do act as time capsules in other homes, and that other people may also have trouble eating all their greens. If I show you guys my efforts, perhaps you will find it easier to get to work with your own.

Thirdly, if I share ideas on how to prepare veg which I like, you may be tempted to share your methods with me. And although there is no guarantee that we share the same tastes, if we never try out new recipes and ideas, we'll never be able to broaden our culinary horizons.

I will admit I have also considered doing a freezer show and tell sometime. It seems my fridge exposing means I am keeping the fridge much cleaner and tidier than usual. But hey, that's a good thing!

There are a couple of more aspects to the concept of "foody Tuesday". My hoarding hasn't only been limited to things, it has also to a certain degree included food items. Frozen veg at 3-for-the-price-of-2? Hoard. Jars of yummy stuff at buy-1-get-1-free? Hoard. Frozen fish at save-x-Dkr-this-week? Hoard.

And then I forget about all the stuff floating about at the bottom of the freezer till some years later I start pulling out bags which are years past their "use before" date, and which, on some of the occasions where I have tested them, have felt like and tasted like eating cardboard. So much for those savings!

So flashing my food stores will mean I get better at using up the items, and toss less, and ultimately waste less money and food. Not bad.

And then there has been an added reason for this series. I have been seeing a dietician for some years now. She has now got a new job. And there doesn't appear to be any replacement coming to fill in her place. So I am now back to trying to figuring out this "eat healthy" all by myself again. At least I know more about it now. But having you guys along for the ride will make me feel less alone. I just hope you will want to stick around. And if I can help you guys back, well, all the better.

So that's why I'll be blathering on every Tuesday about food. And on occasion, even Wednesdays. Tune in tomorrow for the real unveiling of the veggie box.


No comments:

Post a Comment