Pages

Saturday 13 June 2015

Dehoarding and planning and crafting = a happy me

This past week has been rather turbulent. I have been dealing with unforeseen changes of plans, and a lot of decision making. And decisions is not something I am stellar at. Never have been.

This is one reason why my dehoarding progress is as slow as it is. Because I have to decide the fate of every single item in my house. Well, some perhaps not. I have, for instance, made the decision that  my Lego is exempted from dehoarding. I am toying with the prospect of having to give up my Playmobil. I am even willing to consider reducing the number of dinosaurs in my collection. But my Lego? No way!

I have been able to deal with some of my crafting supplies. Some have been rather easy. That was because of the unfortunate fact that paints do not last forever. So I have had to toss a good number of pots and tubes away, much to my dismay. I have also learned the hard way that gel pens are not immortal. There is still a long way to go before I have my crafting supplies under control, but there has been a rather fun development as a result of the dehoarding.

I have started using some of my things!

For many years I haven't been able to get to them, or it has at least been seriously complicated. And then there was the matter of having space to actually use them. And the feeling that I should be doing "sensible" stuff and not having fun. Problem was, I wasn't really doing much of the sensible stuff either, so I was just doing nothing, and being miserable to boot.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have forbidden myself to do things because "they are fun" and I somehow didn't feel I was allowed that. I got back into knitting some 7 or 8 years ago, and the amount of relief and support it gave me was priceless. Of course, it did land me a massive hoard of yarn.

There is still a long way to go before I get to grips with my craft and hobby hoard. For one, there's that huge amount of yarn which I have managed to acquire. Unfortunately, my knitting mojo has died a bit. But I think it may well get revived this weekend. I have also managed to get myself a sizeable hoard of cross stitching items. Blame my mum and gran for that. They were avid cross stitchers, and managed to infect me. Actually, they also are to blame for the knitting. At least in my younger days.

Now, I am having fun. I have started making and creating. I may well decide that this or that hobby or craft is not something I actually love, but that's fine. Because then I will know, and I will be able to start getting rid of the things and make room for the things I do enjoy. And this sudden burst of creating has come alongside an increase in doing some of all that sensible stuff. Because I am planning and structuring my days and weeks. So there's room for both the sensible and the fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment