Pages

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Travel nerves

Right now I am sitting on a ferry. I am off on holiday with my dad. We are headed off for the family summer home up in Finland. Sort of at the back of beyond.

When you live at one back of beyond and holiday at another the trip takes on epic proportions. The fun part is that we get to use practically every form of transportation possible. So we're now on a ferry. Once we get to the mainland we walk a short bit to the bus station. Then we go by bus to a train station. From there we catch (surprise!) a train. This time we are actually not headed for the airport, so instead we'll be headed for a hotel. But tomorrow we will be flying. And when we get through baggage reclaim and passports and customs we're going to pick up our rented car.

I guess at some point we will have to figure out if we can get bikes or carts pulled by animals in there.

I have a love/hate relationship with travelling. On one hand I like to go places, familiar and new, and have a change of scenery and find myself removed from the daily routines. On the other hand I suffer badly from nervousness and anxiety about travelling. I worry about getting to the next place in time, I worry about losing my way, I worry about forgetting things, I worry about having to keep an eye on my stuff. This time around I started being restless and unfocused almost a week ago. Even though I actually did have a list of things to bring, and having help in making sure I had clean clothes to bring.

One thing I am pretty pleased about, though, is that for once I haven't left a mountain of dirty dishes for mum to deal with. I did have help, my aide came round this morning and helped me. But there is just one glass left because I needed a drink. I also did get a few areas looking neater than normal. I also failed (again) to make the entryway more navigable. I have had to ask her to return some library books. But the dishes aren't there!

Now I'll leave you with some pics I just took from the ferry deck. I might be able to get another post ready for while I'm gone, but I am headed for non-internet territory so you will likely have to wait a while.




The view looking straight back into the harbour.




The famous (and protected) bathing huts at Vester strand




 The closest teeny-tiny island, uninhabited, but frequently used for cow pasturing



Same, with view to more islands in the horizon

No comments:

Post a Comment